Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Gratitude Tuesday

Today was an absolutely splendid day. The sun was out and it was just warm enough to thoroughly enjoy every moment. The kids played all afternoon after school, it was wonderful. James helped Brandon put the old soccer goals up so he could practice being " more aggressive ". He is soooo excited about his soccer team.

Alex was especially grateful today. He called me while I was taking Jeremy to piano to let me know he had to be at the high school for a critique of his ensemble at 5:20. No problem, makes me evening a little tight, but sure, I' ll get ya there Alex.

Then, he calls me and says he left his trumpet at school. He called a ward member, but they weren't able to lend him a random trumpet, go figure. So, he wanted me to take him to the jr. high to get his trumpet then run him to the high school. I was not so happy with the plan and felt the chances of him getting into the school at 5:00 p.m. were zero. He argued with me until I decided I would take him just to prove I was right.

On the way, I let him know he wouldn't be getting into advanced pre-calc. because he goofed off all year and now he doesn't have the mandatory A that he needed in whatever math class he is in now. He also was in jeoprady of not getting into AP World History the way his grades are going. So I lectured him on how he needed to step it up and get serious about grades for the entire ride. He was almost in tears by the time we arrived at the jr. high. ( Moms really know how to lay it on thick ) He ran up the stairs, rang the bell, banged on the door, to no avail.

There were some drama crowd looking kids hanging around by another door. He ran over to them, only to find out they were just let out of play practice five minutes before. In a last ditch effort, I took him around to the back where the gym entrances are. Having spent the better half of this year picking Jeremy up from after school football practice/post season training every day, I hoped the doors would still be open. However, I feared even if they were open, the school would be locked in separate areas, if not the band room and the instrument lockers.

Alex was able to get in and returned in a few minutes with a huge grin, a trumpet, and his sheet music. He was thrilled and said as he opened the door " Prayer really works Mom." Well, can I just say, that was worth all of the headaches and arguing from the previous hour.

I dropped one temporarily happy teenager off at the high school. It was a good afternoon. To top it all off, after family prayer tonight, Alex said " Thanks for believing in me mom. " Yeah... that's just what I did this afternoon. I did want to teach him never to give up -- hopefully I accomplished that, without undermining my attempts to teach my children about personal responsibility. Such a catch 22.

Be Grateful!!

1 comment:

Larissa said...

I have been dealing with the whole teaching personal responsibility and still being positive and lifting them up, etc. It's so hard and it really is a catch 22. Mikaela is my struggle right now. This whole middle school thing and all that goes with it. So hard. I was happy to read your post. I related so well. Although, I am exhausted already AND we have only just begun AND I only have half the kids you do! Yikes!