Thursday, July 11, 2013

I do it myself...



You see this tough little guy? This is a picture of Brandon trying to pour a bowl of cereal for himself.  I have been smiling about him all week. He is such a feisty little person.  This last Sunday Brandon and I attended a baptism in the morning before church.  He has suddenly become obsessed with tying his own tie.  He worked and worked at it for about 15 minutes before we left and all during the drive up to the church.

Still unsuccessful, he wanted to stay in the car until he had that tie tied.  I finally convinced him to come into the church and work on it.  He had to come in barefoot as he hadn't even taken the time to put his shoes on yet. Once inside he realized he had two different church shoes, but that is a different story.

He continued to work on his tie and refused any help from many of the well meaning priesthood holders who were more than happy to help this soon-to-be deacon learn to tie his tie.  
" I don't want ANY help!" Was his constant tight lipped reply.  He was frustrated many times, told me it was a double windsor, not a slip knot and kept on working at it.

Finally, just as the baptism began, he mastered it! He tied his tie all by himself and sat with a half contented smile.  Disappointed it took so long, but happy it was finally perfect. I wanted to snap a picture to show everyone, but he had that thing untied and off of his neck the second church was over.  Boys!! I also showed many of the men what a great job Brandon had done, but he was irritated by my attempt at giving him props and told me to stop. " It's just a tie Mom... what's the big deal?"

Recently someone asked me if I ever had problems getting my kids to ride in their car seats.  Not really, other than Brandon, who never minded riding in the car seat, he just had an issue with HOW he got into the car seat.  He would only ride in that seat if HE was the one to get himself in, from start to beginning.

He would only let me open the door, and that was because most 1 year olds can't quite reach the door  handle of a Suburban.  Often times I would actually have to hold him up and let him " open" the door, with some very limited help.  Once the door was open, he would climb into the car and into his car seat.  I could never lift him in or give him a boost.  It was from the ground up only for this kid! Then, we would all have to wait until this toddler with chubby little fingers would snap his buckles together.  A few times I would try to sneak ahead and buckle one while he wasn't looking, only to be caught and have to unbuckle my helpfulness and wait until he had done them all by himself.  If I tried to help in anyway I  would often be scolded with these words" I do it myself!" 

That was his mantra as a toddler and obviously it still holds true today.  I have no idea where this head strong independent child will go, but I have a feeling, he will do it his way and by himself!

Be Grateful!!


No comments: