Wednesday, March 24, 2010

He's still my little boy...


For those of you who know Brandon well, know he is a hormonal, ornery, temperamental 16 year old stuffed into a 7 year old's body. He has not been an easy child, at times I wonder how in the world we ended up with such an interesting last child. I thought my last baby would be fun I would be able to spoil him rotten with attention and one on one time.

Well, Brandon has wanted none of that. He hated play group, story time,swing sets and every single moment of preschool. I don't know if he looks up to his older brothers so much he acts like them or if he is just an old soul. Either way, we are stuck with our 4th teenager... a little early. I am hoping he will be an easier teenager in the long run because we are working out all of the kinks right now... one can always hope.

Brandon is full of laughable comments, just because he is so young and such shocking statements and attitudes come out of his little mouth. He demands his freedom, wants to have a life, threatens to run away forever, is sick of his family. Sound like a teenager to you? He listens to David Cook, Daughtry and Green Day. He is mad he can't listen to Lincoln Park, what??? Where did this kid come from?

But today, I think I saw a hint of my little boy. All of the kids were at school, Baylie left early for Art Club, so it was just me and my Bubba. We had to stop at Hy-Vee for a class treat. While there, Brandon rediscovered the doughnut section. He was thrilled to get a Longjohn-- he couldn't believe how big it was and was delighted to have it all to himself. He put his little hand in mine for a brief moment while we were walking through the store aisles, brief but joyful.

He told me all about how his new shoes were the best ever. Comfortable, cool looking, dad even said. They can make him run faster. He was so glad he didn't have to wear his " crap shoes ", so a bit of the teen seeped through, but progress was made. He was actually a happy little boy for the most part this morning.

When it was time for him to walk to school, he realized he didn't have his big sister by his side and asked if I would watch him walk through the backyard to school. I think he was almost a little scared, very unusual for Brandon.

So, as I watched my miniature teenager run through the grass, carrying a huge umbrella, a big back pack and wearing a size too big hoodie, I realized, he is still my little boy.

Be Grateful!!

No comments: