Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Answers to Prayer

At the end of the historic presidential campaign evening, the kids and I read scriptures before bedtime. I was feeling a little saddened by the outcome, and concerned for our country's future, for my children's future, when we read the following scriptures from Helaman 5:

2: For as their laws and their governments were established by the voice of the people, and they who chose evil were more numerous than they who chose good, therefore they were ripening for destruction, for the laws had become corrupted.

3: Yea, and this was not all; they were a stiffnecked people, insomuch that they could not be governed by the law or justice, save it were to their destruction.

12: And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fail.


Need I say more? I am so thankful for the gospel and for the scriptures that always have a comforting message, regardless of the comfort we seek. I feel a stronger need to prepare my children for the turbulent times we may or ( may not ) face in the near future. There are so many opinions floating around and we could go in circles forever. I guess my greatest concern would be of the moral fortitude of the ( most likely ) president elect, specifically on the abortion issue. If a man has no mercy for the defenseless, no respect for the gift of life, what does he consider sacred? That is where my line was drawn long ago, and what a sad day it is in America when we elect a person who can turn a cold heart to the innocent and unborn. Where do the rest of us stand in his line of value?

God Bless America!!



1 comment:

KabulArchitect said...

I sure enjoyed reading your reflections about the election, the zoo and seeing pictures of your kids/my friends.

Regarding abortion... that tragedy went on during the last president's 8 years and would probably have gone on during the preferred president's next term(s). It might be worse with the new one, who knows, we'll have to wait and see.

Look on the bright side... Racism is a thing of the past. Now there are no excuses for blacks to complain about the white oppressors. This is the best thing for our country right now. Once past this hurdle, we might actually be able to function better as a nation. I hope one day Black Americans will vote conservative again like they purport to believe within their Christian churches.

It is raining here in Kabul for the first time in many months. I need to go out and witness it.

Check out my blog too!