Monday, April 6, 2009

Tryin' for a Tri

A few weeks ago my exercise buddy and good friend Jodi called and challenged me to competing in a sprint triathlon. Sure, I said, I can do that, maybe. So for the last two weeks I have been training like a fiend, trying to whip this old body of mine into shape before the triathlon, which was six weeks away at the time she asked me to join her.

Surprisingly enough, it has been so fun to train for. It really mixes up the training and it has the whole family involved. My boys are thinking about competing with James on a team level and my mom is flying out just to participate with me. Who would have guessed all of this would have come about from a simple challenge? We have spent more time in the pool as a family in the last week then we have all winter. It has been fun racing each other, and cheering for each other as well.

Somedays I am a little discouraged when I watch my jiggly self in the mirror, don't kid yourself, I am not the picture perfect triathlete that would grace any magazine cover. I am looking pretty pathetic in my saggy old gray t-shirt with my black knit yoga pants. Everything seems to wiggle or jiggle while I am red-faced and running the 3 miles on the treadmill. Why do they have to cover every single wall in the gym with mirrors, I look much better in my mind than I do in those mirrors. But, I am a proud mother of six and wouldn't trade the kids that left all of the jiggles behind for anything.

Today was pretty exhilerating. I did the 5K on the treadmill and then did the 12 miles on the bike all without collapsing. It was a great feeling to leave the gym with that amount of continuous exercise under my belt. The swim would have been pretty easy to throw in, but I didn't prepare for it, so I had to leave telling myself it would have been a cinch. I felt awesome when I left the gym, even if I am a little jiggly and saggy, I still had a great work - out!! I think I am actually going to accomplish this crazy challenge/goal of mine.

Wish me luck!!
Be grateful!!

P.S. I know, I know, doing all of this exercise will be different outside, but give the pat on the back I deserve!!




1 comment:

Larissa said...

Terry, I am so impressed. I need a workout buddy. Sure wish you lived closer as you are way more motivated than I am. I wouldn't dare do a triathalon. You rock!!!