Saturday, May 30, 2009

Observations on the soccer field

I spent a good while on the green soccer fields this afternoon. Kyle's team had their last game today and it was a close one. It was burnin' hot, I have the sun burn to prove it. The boys all played like troopers despite the heat.

All of the parents huddled under what little shade was available until the refs walked out onto the field to begin the game. We all towed our goods, in a long slow line to the sidelines where we all expertly set up our little spots in rapid time.

It is funny, everywhere we have lived, it is the same. W
e all have the new and improved lawn chairs that fold neatly into little bags. We carry water bottles, cameras, one lady was even smart enough to bring an umbrella. The parking lot is full of mini vans, we are all so alike in that way. Same cars, same chairs, same beverages. Funny.

The game began and all of the side line soccer parentsstarted calling out their brilliant ideas to the boys. One mom kept asking questions to the air around us Why are we all in a group boys? Why aren't we spreading out boys? Where did you think the ball when you kicked it like that? What were you thinking? I just assume Kyle can't really hear me out there, so why holler out suggestions? He needs to listen to the coach, not me. Different in that way I guess.

One dad kept harassing the ref on our side of the field. I have no idea how well he did judging the game. Kyle was not happy with him. I guess when you are shoved and pushed down in the goal box and don't even have the ball, one may want a foul called on the player who did it. Another boy had an elbow smack him the face, no foul called, so maybe the dad was right, but c'mon, grow up a little and keep it to yourself pal. The boys can take it, they don't need some whiny parent on the side making the refs mad!! We are all different in that way. Maybe I am clueless and don't see a reason to complain, I just don't think it helps much.

Kyle did an excellent job. He scored a goal, even though he is a defender. It always makes me laugh when I see him running towards the goal dribbling the ball. I realize he has had enough and is taking things into his own hands. Even the parents from the other team were calling to him, telling him he was doing a great job. The other coach complimented his foot work as well. A mother can never get too many compliments about her child, we are all the same in that way.

Well, despite their best efforts, they lost 4-2. Kyle and Eric scored the goals, as usual. I am supremely proud of my son, as usual. The parents all loaded up and moved out in a long line, just a little slower pace than when we arrived. The boys were all sweaty, tired and ready to go home, as ususal. We all got into mini vans ( and Suburbans for those of us with more than 2-3 kids ) and drove out of the park in long lines. Same as usual, but always worth the effort.




2 comments:

SydneyMin said...

This really made me chuckle, Ter. You have such a way of commenting on life!

Terry said...

Kyle is the one in white, notice how he is surrounded by lots of blue, that is normal. He gets in there, he is not intimidated by numbers : )