Saturday, September 19, 2009

2009 Zoo Run
Run For The Chimps




My Official Race Chip



Ready to run!!



This morning was the annual zoo run. Last year I ran/walked it with my mom. This year, I was a lone woman, running all by myself. I actually looked forward to the challenge-- I have been training as much as my hectic schedule would allow and felt the most prepared for a race thus far.

It was a bright and beautiful morning, perfect race day. I must admit, it was humid, even for us mid-westerners. I have been spoiled by the A/C at the gym. I have also been using the treadmill as a crutch, otherwise, I felt ready.

I joined the crowd of about 800 people and anxiously awaited the start gun. I loaded my iPod with awesome music just for the race-- don't laugh, but it was mostly the Disney crew. I need a good beat, but no foul language please!!

The race began and I was off. The first thing you hit is a hill, so no easy start there. The race is mostly hilly, so it is a fun but challenging course. Other than being surrounded by Mr. Cologne and Mz. Perfume for the first few yards, I started off strong. I have a mild scent induced asthma, so I passed them quickly to free up the old bronchials.

It is enjoyable to run past the various animals throughout the zoo, strange odors and all. Our zoo has beautiful scenery, which makes it even more entertaining, especially in the morning.

All in all, I did great. I am not sure of my time. I thought I had beat my goal by three minutes, but realized later that my chip time will probably be a bit faster, as it takes time for us folks in the back a while to get to the start line.

So, I will post my time later and keep you all updated-- but yay for me!! By the way-- I did cross the finish line listening to Party in The U.S.A. by Miley : )


No comments: