Monday, August 2, 2010

Sunday Summary

New feature to my high traffic blog: Summary Sunday

The title speaks for itself, I'm sure, so let's start with week one:

Monday: Calling it in
I was sick, or tired, or sick and tired. All of my travels and the non-stop pace we have had since our return from UT finally caught up with me. I actually didn't feel well on Sunday, but I forced myself to my church meetings so the guilt wouldn't weigh me down. So, not a lot to say about Monday, other than I was grateful James made a great meal for the kids.

Tuesday: Ward Party, Take Two
So, we had a Pioneer Day Celebration all planned out for the 24th at a park, but it fell victim to the infamous Missouri thunderstorms. In my own defense, I had sent out a voice of warning to the bishopric. I was, however, given a verbal pat on the head and told to go forward as planned. Needless to say, at 5:30 last Saturday, we were scrambling to find fridges to store all of our pioneer day food, which had been cooking for three hours at that time. I know, us Relief Society sisters and our needless worry... aren't we just silly for checking the forecast and wanting a plan B? When will we ever learn not to plan sooo far ahead?

ANYway ...Tuesday night we did a quick set up in the church gym, had scant decor, as I had planned for a picnic, not a ward dinner. I put up a few of my great aunt's and grandma's patchwork quilts, scattered canned food through out and set out the good old paper ware and started the party. There was plenty of food, and the kids were all entertained for an hour by various auxillarys, which made the parents very happy. Thus deeming it by several ward members " The best ward party ever " So, I guess success can be claimed. Silver linings, you just can't live without them.

Wednesday: Recovery Day
Not a whole day off, but I slowed down a bit, caught up on housework and went shopping with Mikenzie for birthday gifts for Kyle. My visiting teachers arrived at 9:00 a.m., I woke up at 8:30 a.m. and cleaned frantically. I had NOTHING to wear, so I looked like a crazy person by the time they arrived. I had my work out clothes on, James' gray compression hose all the way up to my knees, my hair was in a ponytail and I had a head band on. When they asked if I forgot they were coming, I laughed them off... what would make them think that? Crazy clothes, boxes of food from Costco all over the kitchen, bags from the ward party in the front room, piles of folded clothes on the kitchen table. What gave them that idea??

Thursday: Kyle's 14th Birthday--yay!!
Not the greatest birthday for Kyle. I didn't even wish him Happy Birthday until 9:30, such a great mom. Not like the mom on the blog I follow who puts up decorations in front of her children's bedroom doors for them to wake up to. I didn't cook his favorite meal, heck, he didn't even get a boatload of gifts. He didn't seem to care himself, maybe that was part of it. When it was time to go out to eat Kyle said " Ehhhhh, I'd rather not " Okay... so we had a quick meal at home. Mikenzie made a wonderful birthday cake that she and Baylie decorated. Kyle opened his few gifts ( we have spent a chunk of change on him this month... so don't feel too bad for the kid). He was so busy texting, we had to ask him to stop and open his gifts.

Friday: Date Night
I made a goal to be all purdied up when my true love came home from work so I would be ready to go on our weekly date. I had my hair did, a skirt on, feeling kind of pretty and lady like. Well, James came home, put shorts and a T-shirt on and asked what we were doing for the night. It's the details ladies, they really get noticed. So, after a quick wardrobe change on James' part, we headed out for dinner. We thought about Olive Garden, but ended up at Ihop for some reason. We left full, but not too satisfied. You should always follow your gut, in theory and sometimes, in reality.

We made our usual stop at Target and spent $ on stuff we didn't really need and came home. Called it a night and went to bed. Aren't we romantic??

Saturday: A Special Day
Oh mama, did I have a great Saturday morning or what?? Kyle had soccer practice and I was the Soccer Mom O' the day. Since it would take me just as long to drive home as it would to wait, I spent my time shopping at Zona Rosa. Dillard's was the first store I hit and was it a shopping spree or what? 40% off of the 50% off stuff... yipee!! I had a great time in the Children's department, the Men's department and in the Women's department. Can you say Christmas in July?? So fun, just me, myself and I for two hours, saving... not spending. I also found an Avon store, so I loaded up on my favorite lotion. Stopped by Rocky Mtn. Chocolate Factory. Is it just me or are all of the employees at every store ( from UT to MO by the way ) a little... grumpy. I always feel like I am invading their personal space. I'm just sayin', not the best customer service... nationwide. The coupon I had didn't cover what I thought it did, so I ended up with three caramel apples, which isn't always a bad thing, coupon or not.

Sunday: A day of rest
Church at 9 a.m. is no fun, that is all I can say. I rolled out of bed, stumbled into the shower. This was James' second week of being home on Sunday morning ( in 11 years mind you ) and none of us were in the mood for much, especially with it being Fast Sunday ( or Fast Sundae as Mikenzie wrote on the calendar, just to torture us all a little more ). Church was great, we all arrived on time, what more can you ask for?

I sat by a new member, Ellen. She is very nice and I look forward to getting to know her better. She is a high school teacher, so, she has some guts, if anything. Speaking of having guts, her husband is Jeremy, and now Kyle's, teacher's quorum adviser, so more power to him.

I was also thrilled to see Kyle set apart as a Teacher today, by his dad, so a double dose of blessings. He gave me a hug, then Mikenzie smiled and demanded one too. I love to see how close those two are. Last year I felt very impressed to give them a ride to and from school
everyday instead of making them take the bus. I can see the long term blessings that came from doing that in little acts such as their sweet hug today.

We came home, made our weekly crepes, even James admits to being tired of them, after 12 years. Finally, maybe we can make a new tradition... now, what to eat instead? We also had chips and guacamole, I know, we are very eclectic on Fast Sunday... we just eat anything that sounds good.

I settled down for a nap while James and the kids tidied up and the Teacher's Quorum had their meeting. I slept like a baby through it all.

We had a nice roast beef dinner, went for a ride around the future temple site, read from The Ensign, texted Alex for a bit and called it a night.

Quite a week if I don't say so myself. Add the swimming and soccer practices and I would say we are about done.

No comments: