Monday, August 23, 2010

Sunday Summary

What a long and hectic two weeks we have had!! It seems like time goes by so quickly, I can never catch my breath. My kids are all growing so quickly and nothing reinforces that like the school year starting once again.

Monday-- Just another Manic Monday

The last of Jeremy's two a days started this week. I was coming back from picking him up from football when James called and told me Alex refused to go to work. It was a long, drawn out battle, and in the end, our sweet Mikenzie went to work with her daddy. Leave it to a woman to save the day.

Tuesday-- 24 hours and counting

This had to be the longest day of the week. I agreed to take Alex to get his license so he could drive to school on the first day. The only office open and willing to give road tests was about 30 minutes away. So, off we went. We arrived at the GPS directed location and found it to be an old parking lot. We drove around and I could almost hear the special effects sound of crickets chirping. So, we drove around and around and I remembered there was another office just a few blocks away. I put the address into the GPS and when we arrived we saw the sign and were relieved. We pulled into the strip mall parking lot only to find it mostly abandoned and nowhere to take a test in sight.

Luckily, we saw a police officer and Alex asked for directions. He told us to go to Antioch Road, a few more blocks away. Again, we put in the address and drove to the third location. We arrived, relieved to finally find an office with actual people in it. When we explained we were there for a road test, the man explained they only do written test at that location. He redirected us back to the original location and explained the address system.

We loaded up, drove all the way back to the original address, went a few extra blocks and there was the office we had been searching for all along. We joyfully went into the office, presented the paper from the written test and were asked for ID. I looked at Alex and he said he didn't HAVE any ID. I almost cried. I searched my purse, begged, pleaded, didn't bribe as I was in a police station and had a feeling that wouldn't go over so well. All to no avail, guess they are kind of sticklers for the rules there.

So, with a tight grin, we all turned around, loaded up and drove alllll the way back home for some form of ID. Then we drove alllll the way back to the testing office. Alex finally took his driving test, passed ( you've got to give those driver examiner people some credit, that must be one scary job ). We drove back to our local office, turned in the driving test results and finally walked out with an official drivers license. All in a mere four hours time.

Alex and I then sat through the obligatory lecture/disccussion with the insurance agent for a good hour. He drove me home and I think I aged a few years in about 15 minutes. Good times.

Wednesday-- HALLELUJAH!!!

YEAHHHHH!! The first glorious day of school. Alex and Jeremy went to High School, Kyle went to Junior High, Mikenzie to Middle School and Baylie and Brandon to Elementary. I sent them all off and had a huge, deep sigh of relief. Free at last.

Alex was able to drive to school, run an errand for me and pick Jeremy up from football. It came in handy to have an extra driver. Kyle decided to go out for football and loved it. He called and wanted me to drop everything so he could have a physical before the first practice so he could get out on the field. Being the mean mom that I am, I made him wait until after practice... can you believe the things we do to our kids these days?? I knew Kyle would never be able to sit on the sidelines and watch, that applies to everything in Kyle's life, he is no bench warmer. That is a good thing.

I went for a very long and hot walk while Brandon was at soccer practice and ended up with a total of 5 1/2 miles logged for the day. Pretty good if I do say so myself. Brandon told me on the way to soccer practice he was pretty sure his soccer coach like having him as a soccer student.

Thursday--Spring Cleaning, just a little late

I woke up and six and started cleaning and didn't stop until almost two. My parents had visited the week before and I was horrified at how dirty our house had become over the summer. So, the cleaning bug hit me and I attacked the kids bedrooms with a vengeance. I felt very accomplished, just a week too late for my parents to see the fruits of my hard work. Oh well.

I picked Kyle up from football and he announced he was no longer interested in soccer and was going to drop the sport all together for football. I saw years of hard work and sacrifice, thousands of dollars and hours of practice slipping down the drain. I took a deep breath and told him that decision was a year away and we would cross that bridge when we came to it. Then I screamed inside of my head " Over my dead body will you be quitting soccer" Smiled and went on with the drive to soccer practice. Only time will tell. Kyle will excel in any sport, that is my one comforting thought.

Speaking of sports here is a quote from Jeremy: As you have probably realized, there are various girths in football. This was after I overheard him exclaim while watching Top Gear: Ha!! Tom Foolery, I suspected as much!! He cracks me up as much today as he did 13 years ago.

Friday: Rain, Rain... glad you are finally here

Generally, every single day of my life, I love NOT being a school teacher and then there are days I am really thrilled I am not a school teacher. Like when the tornado sirens go off in the middle of the day and all of the students have to be evacuated to the shelters. Yeah, those are the days I am really sooo overly happy I am NOT a school teacher. And then when the 2nd grade teacher has to explain to her class recess was canceled because of the tornado warning-- especially happy NOT to be a school teacher. That would be Friday, very glad NOT to be a school teacher. I can't decide which would be worse, canceling recess or sitting in a smelly wrestling room with a bunch of 10th graders-- such a toss up. I love NOT being a school teacher.

Saturday--Run Girl Run

That would be my mantra for every Saturday. 9:00 flag football, 10:00 scout thing, 12:00 volleyball practice, 2:00 soccer tournament , 3:00 soccer practice, 5:00 shopping with 3-6 kids at all times, 9:00 finally, a date with Mr. Wonderful, 11:00 shopping at Wal-Mart for school supplies Midnight, bed time. Not a busy day at all.

Sunday-- A day of rest... and embarrassment

I had early morning meetings, James got the kids ready for church and the day was off to a great start. After we spent a looooong time talking to Alex, I finally had to lay down for a much needed nap to get rid of my relentless headache ( long weekends with teenagers tend to bring on these headaches, be warned ). The house looked like a tornado had ripped through it, but I happily collapsed into bed thinking it was Sunday and no one would see it. ( Tornado season, both inside and out ha ha ). When I woke up, James was gone, the Teacher's quorum presidency had come and gone, and the Priest quorum adviser had stopped by. All while dishes were stacked in the sink, laundry baskets were strewn around the entry way, scriptures and white shirts and ties were everywhere. I may have taken my much needed nap and my headache was gone, but boy did I pay for it. If only Tylenol would take away complete humiliation... I would be fine. I NEED A HOUSE WIFE!!

Be Grateful!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.