Monday, February 23, 2009



FHE Fiasco

James was working late tonight, so I thought it would be a great idea if I loaded all the kiddos up and we went swimming for an fun family activity. Of course, the three older boys moaned and groaned, but I endured and insisted they were going to not only swim, but have a heck of good time while doing it.

Kyle gave me the most flack, he wanted to stay home, invite a friend, go run on the treadmill instead of swim, anything and everything he could think of to avoid the requisite participation. I held firm and he stomped around claiming he couldn't find his swimming suit. Luckily, I am super mom and can find anything, no matter how well it is hidden.

I finally had all of the kids loaded up and ready to go after desperate searches for goggles, flip-flops and the correct swimming towels. We arrived at the Community Center and the kids were getting a little excited as they saw a lot of other families coming to swim as well. I should have know this was not a good sign.

We all met at the pool area and the three youngest jumped into the smaller pool and before I knew it, the three older boys were by my side. They told me the big, almost Olympic size pool was closed for swimming lessons. I looked over at the pool and saw three kids and an instructor splashing around. I couldn't believe they closed the entire pool for three kids to have swimming lessons!!

Refusing to be deterred, I told the boys to swim laps or sit by me and watch the younger kids until the lessons were over. No sooner had the words fallen from my lips when some 20-something guy with tatoos jumps into the small pool, and tells my kids-- sorry the pool is closed until 7:30 ( 45 minutes away!! ). I was shocked. There were maybe six kids in the small pool, three in the huge pool and we were told sorry-- pool's closed.

So, I sat there with my six mostly dry kids, refusing to give in. Do these people not realize the effort it took to get six kids, three of which were highly resistant, down to the stinkin' community center??? Finally, after five minutes of occupying seven of the ten deck chairs, while the parents of the swimming students stood around looking at my family wondering what I was up to, and why we were hogging all of the chairs, I gave in and called it a night.

I said -- let's go, all the while praying Brandon wouldn't throw a fit, as he had been the most excited about the whole event. I cleverly and quickly annoucned we were going to leave, told the three boys to get Brandon upstairs ( I couldn't go into the men's locker room, so he had to follow them ) while I pulled The Beast ( a.k.a. the 15 passenger monstrosity I drive around these days ) to the front of the building. Thus, avoiding any and all melt downs.

We did have the benefit of a warm meal waiting for us when we came home ( gotta love those crock-pots ) and the kids were pretty understanding. I do feel bad, Alex said " Thanks for trying Mom, I apprecite the effort " and all I could do was mutter under my breath. So I owe Alex a bit of an apology. I was just so tired to begin with, had a major uphill battle, forced myself to grin through all the arguing, all to be turned away by some Louie Tatooie.

Better luck next time I guess.



No comments: