Sunday, October 5, 2008

Conference Thoughts and Dog Hair

Thought #1--

I have loved every minute of conference!! I am so excited we are getting a temple. Some of the talks seem like they were written just for me. I really loved Elder Holland's talk, he has been one of my favorites since before he was in the big 12. I heard him speak when he was the President of BYU and really felt like he had a special gift. He is always so optimistic and upbeat. One of my favorite talks is found at BYUTV. He talked about speaking with missionaries on Sept. 11th. One of the Elders came up to him and asked him if we were in the last days. Elder Holland replied " I may not be the brightest one in the quorum of the twelve, but I do know the name of our church ."

Brad Wilcox also shares a story of when his daughter found a story problem in her math homework, using Jeff Holland as the character's name. She sent it to Elder Holland. She later received a letter saying " I guess you haven't heard about my part time job. Sometimes I can't think of a name, so I use my own. Here is a problem for you to solve If _______ Wilcox dates 15 boys, how many of them will join the church?" ( For a more accurate recall of the story, see BYUTV, under 2007 Women's Conference ).

Pretty good sense of humor. I had to use mine today.

Thought # 2 Brandon has always had a fetish for hair, ever since he was a newborn baby. He would somehow lean himself forward in his baby swing and play with his own hair. Once he could reach mine, it became his favorite toy. He still loves to feel hair. One day, Mikenzie had just come out of the shower and her long blonde hair was combed, but still wet. Brandon walked across the room, almost hypnotized by it, with his arms reaching out, just to touch it.

So, today he was playing with my hair while I was on the computer. He looked at me and said " Your hair is just like dogs hair. " Wow, how do you take that one? Then he followed up with " I mean, your hair always looks like a dogs does " As if that helps!! So, I just smiled and said thank-you. I am sure there was a 5 year old's well intentioned compliment in there somewhere.

1 comment:

smundy said...

Terri...you are so fun to read. I have to say that your outlook on life really inspired me. Thanks for sharing your blog with me!

Sarah