Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween and Nascar



k

Today was obviously Halloween, but I have to start with a funny story first. My poor old Suburban has become increasingly louder by the day. It was pretty loud today, and then all of a sudden, we were driving up a hill and something must have broken on the muffler, because it became REALLY loud. Brandon, noting the obvious said " It sounds like someone should say-- Gentlemen, start your engines. " It was so funny, I can't believe how much kids pick up when we aren't looking. Grandpa would be proud.

So, onto Halloween. It was a terrible one-- unless you are a kid who scored with a bag full of candy. Since the kids were out of school, I thought I would take the them down to the zoo ( 30 minutes away ). We get there and the sweet lady at the counter explains if I buy the family pass today, it will expire in March '09. If I wait until tomorrow, it will last until March 2010. Well, considering the family pass is $75, I said " We will be back tomorrow." Which, of course made Mikenzie cry.

We moved on despite the disappointment and tears ( nothing a little McDonalds won't fix). Later in the day I took Alex to get his learners permit--yes, he is really that old!! So, being a total airhead, I took Alex to the DMV on the last day of the month. The place was full of people who had licenses and plates that were going to expire at midnight. We waited in line for 40 minutes, just to get to the counter and be told we were at the wrong location and were sent on our happy way. The lady did praise me for having all of the correct documents-- unlike the previous two people. Still, not such good news. ( No, he didn't get it, I had too much to do-- so he will have to wait a little longer ).

Later, I found myself with all the other procrastinating moms at Party America desperately looking for that one last required item to make the costumes perfect. I spent $30 on a bunch of junk, another $15 at Target on candy, $20 at Papa Murphys, and we were on our way.

At last, we were almost out the door for trick or treating when Brandon decided mid-way that he hated his costume ( which he had changed 10 times today ) and decided to abondon it completely and become---- an army guy with regular clothes on, carrying a sword. At this point, I was thrilled he stopped complaining and we were out the door!!

Can I just say-- it was a perfect night. About 65 degrees, not even a chill in the air. We live in a wonderful neighborhood. People were so friendly and great with my kids. Some even had the fire pits going in their driveways and most were sitting on their porches passing out candy. James and I were able to just walk and talk the whole time. It was a great ending to yet another hectic Halloween. I wouldn't change the outcome one bit.

No comments: