Friday, October 17, 2008

Not The Fun One

I am starting to think that my efforts as a fun mom have been unappreciated. Actually, I know it for a fact. Today I had the three youngest loaded up to go to Target and I get the following question " Why is dad the fun parent ? " Hello-- DAD is the fun parent????? I feel so totally " dissed ". And this is not the first time this question has been asked over the past few weeks, so my usually callous feelings to what my kids say to me, are starting to be a little hurt.

If I remember correctly, DAD is the one who was in school for eternity, and was gone from 6 am to midnight everyday for three years. And then, DAD was the one who had to move all over the country during his fourth year of medical school and wasn't even living with us for close to 18 months. So, I ask you, who do you think went to all of the petting zoos, playgroups, church activities, crafty things, class parties, birthday parties, story times, parks ..... who do they think did all of that? Who reads to them every night? Who sends them off to school everyday with a hug and a kiss? Who is here when they get home everyday? Who runs missing assignments to school? Who helps deliver the newspaper every Thursday? On top of trying to be " fun ".

I am in no way jealous of my husband, but c' mon... give me a break, I have no appreciation whatsoever from my kids for being " fun" ???? Seriously? I feel so... I don't even know how to feel, I know kids never appreciate much, and they usually say things without thinking ( as my kids tried to backtrack very quickly and say " But you're the serious one and that is really important ", as if that helps ). I realize all of that, but ouch.

As a mom, usually with than two or more car seats in my van for a good portion of my life, I put so much effort into just getting out the door, with the kids dressed and clean, let alone myself, so we could go to all of the aforementioned activities, and the only credit I get for years of that is " You're the serious one, and that is important "

GIVE ME A BREAK!!